1996.09-2001.01 Ph.D., Department of Psychology, National Chung Cgeng University
1992.09-1994.02 Master, Department of Psychology, National Chung Cgeng University
1988.09-1992.06 Bachelor, Department of Psychology, National Chengchi University
2021.02-Present Professor, Institute of Neuroscience, National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University
2020.02-2020.01 Professor, Institute of Neuroscience, National Yang Ming University
2010.08-2020.01 Associate Professor, Institute of Neuroscience, National Yang Ming University
2006.08-2010.07 Assistant Professor, Institute of Neuroscience, National Yang Ming University
- Claire H. C. Chang, Stanislas Dehaene, Denise H. Wu, Wen-Jui Kuo, Christophe Pallier. 2020. Cortical encoding of linguistic constituent with and without morphosyntactic cues. Cortex (in press).
- Lee H-J, Cheng S-K, Lee C-Y, and *Kuo W-J. (2021). The neural basis of compound word processing revealed by varying semantic transparency and morphemic neighborhood size. Brain and Language, 221, 104985.
- Lin F-H, Lee H-J, Ahveninen J, J¨a¨askel¨ainen IP, Yu H-Y, Lee C-C, Chou C-C, *Kuo W-J. (2021). Distributed source modeling of intracranial stereoelectro-encephalographic measurements, NeuroImage. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2021.117746.
- Chang H-C, Dehaene S, Wu H, *Kuo W-J, Pallier C. (2020). Cortical encoding of linguistic constituent with and without morphosyntactic cues. Cortex, 129, p281-295.
- Chang H-C, Lin T-Z, *Kuo W-J. 2019. Does phonological rule of tone substitution modulate mismatch negativity? Journal of Neurolinguistics, 51, 63-75.
- Lee H-J, Lin F-H, *Kuo W-J. (2017). The neural mechanism underpinning balance calibration between action inhibition and activation initiated by reward motivation. Sci Rep. Aug 29; 7(1):9722
- Nakamura K, KuoW-J, Pegado F, Cohen L, Tzeng O, Dehaene S. Universal brain systems for recognizing word shapes and handwriting gestures during reading. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Dec 11; 109(50): 20762-7.
- Kuo W-J, Sjöström T, Chen Y-P, Wang Y-H, Huang C-Y. (2009). Intuition and Deliberation: Two Systems for Strategizing in the Brain. Science, 324, 5926, 519-524.
- Tsai C-C, *Kuo W-J, Hung L, and Tzeng O. (2008). Action Co-representation is Tuned to Other Humans. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 20 (11), 2015-2024.
Language is a cognitive function unique to humans. Therefore, understanding speech and reading are indispensable as they form the basis of social interaction and communication using spoken and written language. In addition to focusing on the neurocognitive basis of speech and reading, our laboratory uses neuroimaging techniques to study various topics, such as the relationship between reading and emotions, and the regulation of emotions through music. We also combine neuroimaging methods such as functional magnetic resonance (fMRI) with electroencephalogram (EEG), or magnetoencephalogram (MEG) with EEG to contribute to the field of clinical intracranial epilepsy research.
Tonal languages account for more than half of the world’s languages, but the related research has not received enough attention. Recent studies have pointed out that the geographical distribution of tonal languages worldwide is closely related to the distribution of two human mutant genes. This highlights the importance of studying the neurobiological mechanism of tones to clarify the relationship between the brain and language evolution. Following this line, we are currently conducting a series of studies on Chinese tones, such as the neurophysiology of tone processing, tone modulation, and tone representation in adults who use hearing aids.